What to pack

Weather in Moscow varies greatly with four distinct seasons and varied temperatures:

  • Winter: Temperatures range between 20° and 40°F (-6° and 5°C). There is considerable rain and snow between November and March. You will need gloves, scarves, sweaters, a heavy coat, and boots during these months.
  • Summer: Light clothing is needed as summer tends to be hot (70-100°F/21°-37°C) and dry. A light jacket or sweater may be needed for cooler summer night temperatures.

What to bring

Avoid bringing excess items that can be purchased here and appliances that cannot be used with the U.S. current (110V). Listed below are items students suggest you bring because of expenses in the U.S. and for convenience:

  • Extra eye glasses or contact lenses & fluid
  • Frequently used or favorite books
  • Traditional or special medicines, packaged & wrapped – medicines you need should be in your carry-on luggage in case your luggage is lost. All fluids over 3 oz. should be in your large luggage and checked in.
  • Photos, slides, maps, flags, artifacts, clothing typical of your country that can be used to share your culture with other students.
  • Medical history from your home country physician (translated into English) for physicians at UI and in the Moscow area

You will need bedding and personal items, but it is best to purchase them after you arrive, as bed and pillow sizes vary by country and these items take up lots of space.

Family information

If your family is coming with you, please bring complete medical records, written in English, for all family members. If you have children of school-age, there is no charge or advance registration needed to enroll them in the Moscow public school system. There may be fees for certain services or courses not included in the regular curriculum.

To enroll your child in public school, you must provide:

  • A record of your child’s immunizations: diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella. A tuberculin skin test is recommended. Records should document a student’s vaccinations and oral immunizations by the month and year they were administered.
  • A birth certificate or passport is required to enroll students in local schools.
  • Records, in English, of previous school attended are required for junior high and high school enrollment.