Healthcare in the U.S. is very expensive. Also, when you sign your I-20 and DS-2019, you are verifying that you will not be a financial burden to the U.S. government, to the University of Idaho or to the State of Idaho. Therefore, health insurance is required for all international students and their families.

University of Idaho Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP)

  • You are automatically enrolled for SHIP when you register for classes during orientation. You do not have to fill out any forms.
  • Dependents are not eligible to be enrolled on SHIP. You will have to find off-campus insurance that meets our requirements for your dependents.
  • Learn more:

Immunizations and medical records

If you are from Asia, Africa, or Latin America (areas of the world at high risk for tuberculosis, TB), we strongly recommend you be tested and treated for TB before you arrive in the US. Contact your U.S. Consular office to see if there are any required or recommended immunizations before traveling. Bring copies of your medical records written in English.

The U of I highly recommends the following immunizations prior to arriving in the US: Immunization Policy